Getting a driver’s license is a big moment for a teenager. They get a little bit more freedom to be on their own. While it’s easy to see why teenagers can’t wait to get it, it’s a bit worrisome for parents who are concerned about their children out on the road. There’s no greater cause of deaths for 15 to 20-year-old drivers than auto accidents.
Being a parent means you have to set good examples for your children, in all facets of life. That includes driving. Be mindful of this, as your children watch you drive. Follow traffic laws and exercise caution at all times. If you show good driving skills when your teen is in the car, he or she will be more likely to replicate it when they get behind the wheel of a car on their own. Make sure your teen knows these tips so they can be safe on the road:
1. Buckle up: It’s no longer cool to not wear you seat belt. It’s been proven time and time again – wearing a seat belt is the best way to survive harm in auto accidents.
2. Follow the law: This is pretty straightforward – laws are there for a reason. Check your speed limit, use your turn signals and be mindful of other drivers on the road.
3. Prepare before driving: Don’t start driving while finishing up your quick bite to eat or still fiddling with the radio. Have your music on and playing before you start the car and take a few extra seconds to finish any food or tasks you were doing before you enter the car. The less distractions, the better.
4. Avoid cell phone usage: This is a big one. Tell your teens they can wait a few minutes to text their BFFs. Using your phone while driving is a huge distraction and becoming one of the leading causes of auto accidents in the country. Simply put, tell your teens not to do it.
5. Always drive sober: You can’t follow your teens everywhere, especially when they get the additional freedom of driving. You can’t stop them from drinking when they’re out on their own but you can tell them how important it is for them to never, ever get behind the wheel drunk.
Make sure you and your family is totally protected out on the road. Call Northside Insurance Agency at (813) 960-5225 for more information on Tampa auto insurance.